Gaming Laptops Under 500 dollars – Top 3 Models to consider
It’s hard finding some great gaming laptops under 500 since they are mainly built by manufacturers with the purpose of basic operations usage. But as long as you don’t expect to play the latest released games on high settings (that require the latest GPU and CPU that can be owned only if players build their own computer) then buyers can definitely settle for one of the following models:
ASUS A53Z-AS61 – is quite a nice device when it comes to gaming under 500. However, remember that at this range price of $400 we can only talk about casual games and maybe some fps on low to medium settings.
- 15.6 inches HD LED (720p) display.
- AMD A6 3420M quad-core CPU which is base clocked at 1.5GHz and can be overclocked at 2.4 GHz on TurboCore.
- AMD Radeon HD 6520G is the graphics card. It has no dedicated memory which means that it’s slower.
- 4GB DDR3 RAM that can be upgraded to 8GB.
- 750GB 5400RPM hard drive.
- DVD/RW Burner, 1 USB 3.0 port, 2 USB 2.0 ports, and 1 HDMI port.
- OS: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit.
- Built-in Altec Lansing speakers.
- Weighs 5.72 pounds (2.6kg) including the 6-cell battery.
- 1 year global warranty and 1 year accidental damages warranty that includes, amongst others: drops, spills, fire damages, and power surges. Nevertheless, notice that there is only one accident allowed per each ASUS A53Z-AS61. Check Price at Amazon
The ASUS A53Z-AS61 also incorporates IceCool Technology for keeping typing surfaces cool after prolonged usage.
Dell Inspiron i15N-2728BK – what possible users can expect from this model, as one of the best gaming laptops under 500, to run in the gaming section (mostly on medium settings) is: Minecraft, Fallout 3, Amnesia, Borderlands 2 on medium settings, Torchlight 2, Mass Effect 3, Minecraft, Slender Man, Dirt Showdown, Alan Wake, Battlefield 3 on low settings, Batman: Arkham City, Fifa 12 on medium to low settings, casual games, and probably many others in the same settings range.
- 15.6 inches HD (1366×768) display Truelife technology incorporated for more realistic and spectacular images. The images quality and the colors have received a lot of praises from previous users.
- Intel Dual-Core i3-2370M – clockspeed 2.4GHz, 3MB L3 cache, but no option for overclocking.
- 6GB DDR3 RAM that can be upgraded to 8GB, a fact that is very important for gaming laptops under 500.
- Intel HD Graphics which has no dedicated video memory and supports DirectX 10.1 games.
- 500GB 5400 rpm HDD.
- OS: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit.
- Bluetooth 3.0, 3-in-1 media card reader, DVD±R/RW optical drive, HMDI port, and 3 USB 2.0 ports.
- Chiclet non-backlit keyboard.
- Weighs 5.1 pounds (2.3kg).
- Approx. 4hours on battery.
- 1 year warranty. Check Price at Amazon
HP Pavilion dv6-7020 – I realize that this model doesn’t belong to the gaming laptops under 500 list mainly because the $500 price tag is exceeded by approx. $250 but this is a product that allows more freedom in terms of what games can be played and which cannot run at all. Most of the games can be played, even if in some cases you will resort to medium-low settings.
The HP Pavilion dv6-7020 a better graphics card than the Dell Inspiron i15N-2728BK, meaning Intel HD Graphics 3000 as compared to the Intel HD Graphics incorporated in the Dell model. However, the major difference in this case is made by the CPU (Processor): Intel Dual-Core Sandy Bridge i5-2450M, 2.5GHz clockspeed, 3.1GHz on Turbo Boost, and 3MB L3 cache. Even though the Intel HD Graphics 3000 doesn’t have a spectacular video memory of its own, 1696 MB (1.5GB), it will access the cache levels made available by this fast and great performing CPU.
Other technical specifications are:
- 15.6 inches HD display,
- 750GB 5400RPM HDD,
- 6 GB DDR3 RAM,
- Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit operating system,
- 3 USB 3.0 ports, 1 USB 2.0 port, 1 HDMI port, memory card slots,
- up to 8.45hours on battery,
- 5.4 pounds (2.45kg) weight,
- Beats Audio for amazing audio experience, incorporated HP CoolSense technology,
- built-in CD/DVD burner,
- 10-key numeric keypad,
- and 1-year limited hardware warranty. Check Price at Amazon
If you really are on a budget then ignore the HP Pavilion dv6-7020 even though it’s pretty amazing according to me. The Dell and Asus are really the best gaming laptops under 500, however if you want some alternatives, you will find plenty here.