My personal picks for the best graphics card in the world
Without further introduction, let’s designate the best graphics card in the world. Let’s get to the heavyweight category of video cards:
EVGA Nvidia GeForce GTX 690 – for me, this definitely is the best of the best, la crème de la crème so if it fits in your budget buy this piece of wonderful technology. It was released in 2012 and for the moment, until AMD comes up with anything new like the much awaited AMD Radeon HD 7990 (in 2012 we hope), the GTX 690 remains the fastest graphics card on the market. If you love technology as much as I do then definitely this product will tempt you into buying it.
Some of the most powerful reasons for absolutely loving this and considering the EVGA Nvidia GeForce GTX 690 as the best graphics card in the world are:
- 2 GK104 GPUs with respective 2 CUDA cores, each of 1,536. After using some simple mathematics it results a total of 3072 cores. That makes the GK104 GPU to be a hybrid and these 2 GPUs together are running at a rate of 915MHz.
- 2x 4GB 512-bit GDDR5.
- PCI-E 3.0 16x which means double bandwidth than the PCI-E 2.0 would offer, however it is still compatible with all the PCIE motherboards. The PCI-E 3.0 presumes maximum performance when it comes to 3D games, movies, and other applications.
- Quad SLI support.
- Since we are talking of such a powerful and fast card, user will need a minimum power supply of 416W and available 8-pin PCI-E power dongles but not just one but two of them.
- The best DirectX 11 gaming performance. However, the DirectX 10 gaming performance is over-powered by Nvidia GeForce GTX 680 SLI (Nvidia GeForce GTX 680 and ASUS GeForce GTX 680). If you have the money to build a 680 SLI go for it if not choose the 690 since it is the best graphics card in the world.
- The NVIDIA 3D Vision Surround allows users to run their applications and games on 4 monitors.
- Gives the possibility to overclock it from 915MHz to 1155MHz.
- Amazing built-in quality and design.
All the above make this the best graphics card in the world without a doubt. The EVGA Nvidia GeForce GTX 690 has a length of only 11 inches so it should be able to fit any case. It might get a little noisy when under load however you will forget all about that when you see how smoothly runs the game in front of you. You will no experience any lag and numerous applications will run just unbelievably even when playing games. I admit that the price is high but it’s just so tempting not buying it.
AMD Radeon HD 6990 is only slighter more expensive than the Nvidia GeForce GTX 690 however this is not the reason for not granting it the first position in this top of the best graphics card in the world. The factor that contributed to my placing it on the second position is the bad positioning of its fans (between the 2 GPUs) and the 12 inches in length. Those two combined lead to the fact that users must be careful to have firstly a case large enough to fit this monstrous graphic card and secondly a case with excellent airflow otherwise you might be faced with an overheating problem.
Leaving the above-mentioned problems behind, we are left with a spectacular video card. Some of the specifications for the AMD Radeon HD 6990 are:
- 4GB 256-bit GDDR5. Even though the 2GPUs compensate quite wonderfully, I believe that the AMD should surpass this limit of 256-bit since they are sticking to it for quite some time now.
- 2.5GHz clock speed, a field where it beats any video card on the market.
- 2 dual cores clocked each at 830 MHz.
- Eyefinity allows users to stretch their games and applications on 6 monitors due to the resolution of 7680 x 3200.
- Perfectly running any 3D existent application.
- OpenGL, OpenCL, and DirectX 11 support.
- HDMI, VGA, 1 dual channel DVI, and 4 mini-DisplayPort connectors.
- Power supply of 1000W, which is quite much but let’s not forget that we are talking about one powerful and the second best graphics card in the world.
Even though the AMD Radeon HD 6990 requires quite a large and fully-equipped with fans case, it still remains an exhibit of raw power, quality, and efficiency. It represents the perfect choice for anyone who knows what he/she wants, has the money for it, and the passion for blasting graphics in a surround system that beats any expectations.
EVGA Nvidia GeForce GTX 680 – it’s time for some more affordable models (under $500 price tag) and I will start with this one as the third and affordable best graphics card in the world. It was released in 2012 so users can expect some impressive performance and they will surely get what they want and even more.
- Even though it has only one GPU this card can still equal and exceed in performances any competitor.
- No need to worry about 3D rendering of any application on the market either due to the NVIDIA 3D Vision Surround.
- It incorporates a 2GB 256-bitGDDR5, which is one of the top features about this model.
- 1536 CUDA cores.
- 1006MHz base clock for top speed.
- length of 10 inches to be compatible with your existing case.
- SLI Ready so you can bridge it with the ASUS GeForce GTX 680 to get the best duo on the market in terms of graphics, speed, and performances. This SLI is hard to beat even by the EVGA Nvidia GeForce GTX 690 so we could say that this SLI is the best graphics card in the world, well even if it’s about 2 video cards.
- PCI Express 3.0.
The EVGA Nvidia GeForce GTX 680 is definitely a model to consider, quite affordable for the vast majority of hardcore gamers however if you are looking for something more affordable check my other article on best graphics card for the money.
Gigabyte AMD Radeon HD 7970 – Gigabyte is the board manufacturer that issued the AMD Radeon HD 7970 for the most affordable price as compared with Diamond, Sapphire, and XFX so I will choose this version. This card is for a medium budget so it ended up on the forth position in my selection for the best graphics card in the world. It incorporates:
- 3GB 384-bit GDDR5.
- 925MHz clock speed.
- PCIE 3.0 x16.
- Ready CrossFireX so you can buy two items of this product and make a spectacular one under a great budget.
- AMD Eyefinity 2.0 technology for rendering 3D applications.
- It supports DirectX 11.1 for playing the best and latest released games without any slowdowns.
- Great performances in video editing and video playback.
- It integrates Dual Link DVI, HDMI, and 2 Mini Display Port.
- A length of 11.6 inches, which is quite the downside of the Gigabyte AMD Radeon HD 7970. It might necessitate a large case to fit in.
- Great integrated cooling system and no loud noise reported.
- This graphics card can be overclocked however users will notice that in most cases that is not at all necessary since it will deliver by its own all the necessary power.
EVGA GeForce GTX 670 is the fifth and last model on the list regarding the best graphics card in the world. It is also the most affordable of them all however users will be able to notice that this card is not bowing in front of competition. The arms with which this battle is taken on are:
- 915 MHz base clock.
- 2GB 256-bit GDDR5.
- 1344 CUDA cores.
- PCIE 3.0.
- SLI Ready.
- Thanks to Nvidia Surround users can enjoy an application or a game on 4 monitors.
- DisplayPort, HDMI, and Dual Dual-Link DVI.
- It will run 50% faster than most cards on the market even without overclocking it.
- 500W is the minimum power supply you will need for this card plus 2 6-pin PCI-E connectors.
- A very nice length of 9.5 inches, compatibility with any case.
The EVGA GeForce GTX 670 is suitable for everything whether we are talking about editing, watching 3D movies or enjoying some hardcore games. And the price at which is delivers all that is simply the most exciting and that’s why it deserves to be amongst one of the best graphics card in the world.
This is my top 5 on the best graphics card in the world, choose according to your budget because all these models are simply amazing and they will run in top-notch graphics whatever you want them to, at maximum settings.